“God has everything under control. Nothing escapes His hand. God is sovereign over all!” These are statements that many are familiar with hearing right now during our current crisis. Although we would never deny this truth, in the quietness of our hearts we often ask, “How does this help me right now?” This is a valid question. Many preach the sovereignty of God over and over as if, by itself, this attribute of God should lead people to trust Him. But sovereignty alone is not sufficient for trustworthiness. The reason that we can trust God during our present crisis is because God is both sovereign and good. Let’s explore this together…
God is Sovereign
This article is not meant to minimize the sovereignty of God. It is actually meant to strengthen one’s hope in God’s sovereignty. We read in Ephesians 1:11, “In him (Christ) we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, …”. Proverbs 16:33 says, “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.” These are just a few verses of many that point to the absolute total control of God over all things.
God’s attributes are not at odds against one another. For example, God is both sovereign and loving. He is both sovereign and just. The question remains, “If God is sovereign over all, why, then, would man resist this truth? Why is man so angered that the Creator God controls all things?” The reason for this struggle, I believe, is because man has neglected to consider another attribute of God that is essential to who He is. So, what is this other attribute?
God is Good
God is good! A sovereign god who controls all things but is inherently evil would be a terrifying reality. But this is not our God. This is not the God of the Bible. Examine the following verses:1
- 1 Corinthians 16:34 – “Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!”
- Psalm 34:8 – “Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
- Psalm 145:9 – “The LORD is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.”
- Nahum 1:7 – “The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him.”
- James 1:17 – “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.”
Therefore, We Can Trust Him
So, can we trust a sovereign God? Yes! Why? Because He is a good God! If you are a believer in Christ, you are promised that God is working all things together for good in your life (Rom. 8:28). If you are an unbeliever and currently rejecting Christ, you have the promise of full and sure salvation if you would embrace Jesus Christ as your own (John 3:16). There is no deception or evil intention found in God. He is pure and holy in His goodness and sovereignty. So, no matter what life brings your way in these next few months, trust God. Why? Because He is sovereign and GOOD!
- Verses referenced from https://www.davidjeremiah.org/knowgod/23-verses-about-the-goodness-of-god ↩